Flights over 6 hrs
8 hours to Nairobi and 1h30 onward flight
Suitable for children
Minimal jet lag
- No offers currently listed.
Please call us on 0870 673 848 for more information .
See all our hotel offers
Kenyan Coast, Africa
Kenyan Coast, Africa
Kenyan Coast, Africa
Our ReviewKizingo is the ultimate 'no news, no shoes’ beach resort - a wonderful secluded and tranquil escape from the modern world. The design is simple, the atmosphere informal and the hospitality unparalleled. A combination of the Credit crunch and the weak pound has prompted us to find a few more hidden gems which are off the beaten mass marketed tourist path but are still within a reasonable budget. Kizingo is just such an option. The hotel isn’t for every family as the children facilities are pretty limited but if you want a hideaway with a beautiful beach and plenty of space for your tearaways this is it. Owned and run by a local couple born in Kenya and who enjoyed a stint in Zimbabwe as coffee farmers, because of their long and close relationship with the local village, its chief leased them this stunning beachfront land to build a small resort that is both eco-friendly and very comfortable. Like all the best lodges in Kenya, Kizingo has a symbiotic relationship with the local village, an hour away on foot, and with farmers on the mainland who grow food and make furniture for the lodge. Kizingo has eight beautifully appointed bandas, each offering plenty of privacy and space. Simple in style and design the eight spacious bandas with high-pitched thatched roofs and shaded balconies right on the beach are the perfect place to escape too. Each has a large double bed romantically draped with mosquito netting and comfortable chairs for lounging. Bamboo screens unfurl to give complete privacy. At Kizingo you can be as social or as private as you want. You can choose to enjoy eat on the balcony of your banda or join other guests in the bar and the dining room with their magnificent views across the bay to mainland Kenya where giant baobab trees spread into the brilliant blue sky. A wonderful array of delicious lunches and dinners in the restaurant overlooking the Indian Ocean using only the freshest local produce are masterfully prepared by the lodge’s chefs who pride themselves on the quality of their food. Fish and seafood are the specialties, red snapper, crab and lobster, all served with locally-grown vegetables and salads. The calm waters of the Lamu channel are wonderful for swimming and you can snorkel among the local coral reefs. During the winter months, you may be lucky enough to have the opportunity to swim with dolphins. It's possible to explore the architecture and restaurants in the nearby historic Lamu town and cycling to some of the nearby mainland African villages can also be arranged. From October to June, green turtles arrive on the beach and lay their eggs. Deep-sea fishing and sunset dhow trips can also be organized by the lodge. This simple beach lodge is not everyone's cup of tea. If you want a resort with a spa, tennis courts and all the creature comforts you are better to look elsewhere. However if you want a lovely little lodge on a beautiful beach far from the tourist trail and at a reasonable price then this is the place for you.
Total: 8 bandasROOMS…Each of the eight bandas have shaded balconies right on the beach with an en-suite bathroom.
Things to do
- THINGS TO DO FOR PARENTS… Fishing, bush walks, guided cycle rides, swim with dolphins, snorkelling, visit Lamu, sunset dhow cruise, turtle watches.
- I’M BORED (…& for children)… Swimming, snorkelling and all of the above.
- CHILDREN’S CLUB… This lodge does not have a kids club.
- SUITABLE FOR… This is a real beach hideaway so wont suit families needing a Kids Club and plenty of children’s facilities. It is also in a malarial area so is not suitable for young children.
- ARE WE THERE YET?... It is reached by scheduled daily flights from Nairobi (90 minutes) or Mombasa (45 minutes) and a half-hour boat ride from the airport on Manda Island.
- I’M HUNGRY… As Kizingo only has one restaurant children are allowed at all times. There is no set children’s menu but the lodge will do their best to accommodate any specific requirements. The lodge can also assist in preparing infant meals.
- BABY SITTING & COST… Baby sitters are local women from the nearby village and the cost is approx £5-7 per day.
- COSTS FOR CHILDREN… Children are accommodated at discounted rates.
- PRICES FROM… £125 per person per night in a Double Room on Full Board excluding drinks.
- WHAT DON’T YOU NEED TO PACK… The lodge can provide a cot and can assist with washing bottles. You will need to take all items and goodies for the kids.
Sorry no image loaded to the Gallery yet!
Be the first to review this Ultimate Family hideaway!